Hungerford Properties is a fast-growing real estate investment, management and development company with millions of square feet of industrial, office, retail and residential properties in Western Canada. Our mission is to create value for investors, help business owners grow their companies, and build better neighbourhoods for all, through the astute investment, management and development of real estate. We are an established and expanding team with an impressive track record and proud history. We bring sophisticated investment tools to the Western Canadian market and build award-winning developments. For more than three decades, we have followed a simple strategy: buy well and add value through proactively investing, developing and managing commercial and residential projects. Our company is driven by five Core Values: Ambition, Diligence, Creativity, Relationships and Community, and the people we hire should be completely aligned with these values. As underlined by our values, we set high expectations for ourselves and for our people; all staff are expected to know, understand and deliver on our standards.
We take pride in our approach to doing the work at Hungerford Properties, and we expect all employees to do so as well - we call this approach the Hungerford Way, and it is made up of 2 Key Components:
1. High performance culture - our values-based approach to how we communicate and how we act in every situation, the foundation of recruiting, hiring and developing the best and the brightest people
2. Meticulous Process - our institutional quality operating Platform, which includes process manuals, checklists, templates, and repeatable efficient processes.
We leave no stone unturned in the way we go about our work and we demand integrity in everything we do; the processes, supported with checklists and templates, are tools that give us and all of the staff confidence in one another to get the job done to the highest standard, while minimizing risk. We expect that process is followed. Period. Not doing so is not an option. It is core to our operations.
Alignment to the Hungerford Way is essential for all employees; however, we are not saying the way we do things is the only way, we are simply saying that this is the way we work, and we want to recruit people who want to be here because they buy into what we are doing, why we are doing it and how we are getting there, because they are aligned with our vision, values, objectives and processes before even starting the role.
We are a company committed to developing long-term relationships with our stakeholders, and we want staff who are also looking for long-term commitment in their careers.
Performance at Hungerford Properties is measured both by achievement of individual objectives and demonstration of the values in daily behavior.
We are merit based; if a person has earned trust by doing a good job, there is the opportunity to take on greater responsibility. We are also about impact, not age or experience, so Hungerford Properties is a place where people can grow career quickly if motivated, ambitious and diligent. We are also loyal - if a person is good to us, we will be good to them. Ultimately, this is an opportunity to become part of a team dedicated to success and excellence for those ready to step up.
The Candidate and Responsibilities
The Vice President position is based out of Vancouver.
Applicants for this position will be a self- motivated individual with a high degree of initiative and will possess strong interpersonal skills, be attentive to detail, and able to build trusting relationships. The candidate will report directly to the Partners and work in conjunction with all Departments to execute the business plans.
The Vice President will be active in the following primary responsibilities both in an individual and senior management team setting:
- Is a Corporate Culture champion by supporting and setting the tone of company culture
- Is involved in company-wide discussions on performance, planning, and execution
- Provides long-range strategic direction execution of the business, departmental(s) and corporate plans on a long-term basis
- Motivate and lead development of new process, technology, tools and methods for dealing with complex and cross-departmental activities
- Train Hungerford Properties people on corporate and Asset Management related topics
- Ensure high level of engagement of all teams with direct or indirect interaction
- Create formal internal and external networks with key decision makers related to Asset Management and serve as external spokesperson for Hungerford Properties
- Set vision and direction through resource allocation decisions (role, responsibilities, capacity, organization, prioritization) for Asset Management.
- Creates, analyze and monitor Asset Management metrics.
- Accountable for process efficiency for Asset Management.
- Attract and select diverse and high caliber talent for Asset Management and the Company
- Ongoing People Performance Management and People Career Development
- Departments management according the Hungerford Way of operating (“HWay”) in terms of reporting, operations and management tools
- Strategy and Planning
- Integrate the broader strategic objectives with recommendations, including value-add initiatives and hold/sell decisions, based on a comprehensive risk-return analysis.
- Prepare an annual strategic asset management plan, and where applicable a development plan, monitoring the plans and reporting on them to the Partners.
- In partnership with the property management and leasing teams, prepare 3-year leasing, operating and capital budgets, together with supporting material for presentation.
- Oversee execution and monitoring of property business plans
- Oversee risk management and insurance
- Oversee the reporting of significant activity including occupancy, capital programs, development and any other items of note.
- Analysis and reporting of property and portfolio level metrics with recommendation
- Review and approve monthly property management reports.
- Oversee the quarterly appraisal process
- Report monthly to the Asset Committee the status of all assets including asset overview, operations, capital and any compliance or conflict issues.
- Report orally or in writing as required to the Partners and to the Investment Committee.
- Oversee with Investor Relations and Accounting the creation of internal and external Quarterly and Annual Reporting to Partners, Investors, Joint Venture partners and Advisory Board
- Support the disposition process providing full property information adequate for preparation of Broker reviews and preparation of sale and due diligence materials.
- Review and approve, ensuring accuracy, on all sale materials. Provide recommendation of sales process, broker selection and purchaser selection.
- Oversee the compliance for all funds, separate accounts and other investment vehicles that Hungerford manages
- Ensure the asset management team is using the best in class process for the internal and external valuation appraisals
- Oversee the quarterly and year end valuation process and work with accounting on the valuation audit approval
Actively involved with Acquisitions and Financing teams on financing and refinancing of investments
Knowledge, Credentials and required experience
- An undergraduate degree in Business with a focus on Urban Land, Finance or a related discipline
- 5+ years of relevant experience in a senior level asset management role
- Strong fiduciary orientation
- Understanding of commercial, industrial and residential asset classes at both the operational and investment level
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, cash flow modeling and excel skills
- Working knowledge of Real Estate specific analysis software (ie. Argus) and Microsoft Office.
- Highly knowledgeable in Asset Management processes
- An MBA, CFA, CPA or other real estate Designation is an asset
- Proven experience in leading large size, multi-level and mature teams
- Ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships. Committed team player.
- Self-motivated, professional and flexible.
- Reliable and ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality.
- Work under pressure and manage tight deadlines.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and competing priorities and adapt to new ideas and constant changes.
- Ability to cope with changing needs and deliver successful results within agreed upon time frames.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Ability to resolve problems using facts and sound reasoning. Ability to achieve goals using a strategic approach.
- Proven innovation with a willingness to manage and adapt to change
The Candidate will also be someone who is completely aligned with Hungerford Properties Core Values. In addition to effectiveness in delivering key objectives, performance will be measured by the candidate’s capability to demonstrate the following 5 Values on a daily basis:
- Ambition - Seeing possibility, stretching goals to exceed expectations, and persisting with extraordinary effort when challenged.
- Diligence - Taking action in one’s role to remove errors, avoid pitfalls and minimize risk to produce deliverables of the highest professional standard.
- Creativity - Dedicating time and energy to creative problem solving, seeking alternative and better approaches to get to the most effective, elegantly simple solutions.
- Relationships – Building team with collaborative internal relationships in order to provide extraordinary service to our external relationships.
- Community – Taking action to deliver lasting, meaningful impact on others’ lives, and the lives of their families – whether coworkers, business stakeholders or the larger community.
We thank all applicants in advance.